Thursday, February 25, 2010

Movie Week Reviews

The first movie I saw was Born Into Brothels. I thought it was a great film, a good eye-opener. It didn't sugar coat any of the raw, gritty details of the Red Light District of Calcutta, India. I enjoyed the (at least seemingly) non-partisan way it was filmed, as some documentaries can have a skewed view. This film also highlighted one of the plights of documentary makers, in that you can't help but feel the need to help those you are interacting with or documenting. Many people can't handle not getting involved. In the case of Zana Briski, she felt she had to help these kids, but not only help them but try to get them into school. I found it very interesting that in the end only one of the 7 or so kids she helped actually stayed in school. But in the long run, Briski made a life of difference for that one child. I hope that Briski is proud of that accomplishment, as it's a big deal, and not many people actually make a difference in the world like that.



The second film I saw was I am Cuba. This wasn't filmed in a style I particularly enjoyed. What really threw me off was the way-too-close close-ups. It gave the entire film a very amateur-ish feel. However, given the time period of this film, and what was considered avant-garde, I am not surprised at the way it was filmed. I enjoyed the topics of the various short stories, but the very first one dragged on. I hate having things "spelled" out in such a fashion, I get it...move on! But I can see how this film was influential to others in Hollywood. The Spanish dubbed in Russian with English subtitles was a little much. I wish it did not have the dubbed Russian, as it was very distracting. I found the last 3 stories very good. And I am surprised that this film was not well received in Cuba at the time. I have a brief knowledge of the history of Cuba, and it seemed pretty accurate to me. But then again, what do I know? I live in Winnipeg and wasn't alive during that time. *shrug*


The last movie I saw was Manufactured Landscapes. I thought it was brilliant. I like that it kind of scared you. It made you really realize the damage that our industrialized world has created, and continues to create. I like that Edward Burtynsky saw beauty in all of these landscapes. His ability to stay neutral and not have these images convey his personal opinion on the matters is crucial. You can really see his images for what they are. If you read more into it, it is simply your own feelings or thoughts that are evoked. His ability to not voice his opinion on the matter also allows him unprecedented access to these various locations. Sometimes it is best to keep it to yourself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment