Tuesday, November 17, 2009

CI 12 - Colour Block

Colour always evokes an emotion, whether we are aware of it or not. It used to drive me nuts when I first moved in with my then boyfriend (now husband), Mike. All the walls in the house were white. It felt so drab and boring. So I suggested painting one room, the computer room. So it's 2 shades of blue. Blue because it is my "calming colour". Eventually we got around to painting one other room, our bedroom. It's 2 shades of purple. We choose purple as it was harmonious and didn't clash with any of of our linens, and we didn't feel it was too energetic. As we have one week left in this house, it's a little sad, as I will miss my vividly painted rooms. Our new house is mostly neutral or wood. That being said, here is the break down to my photos:


Orange: the liner of my backpack/camera bag. A nice vivid, bright colour. Full of energy.

Purple: our bedroom walls. It's not particularly calming or busy. This is a colour that has come in and out of my palette over the years, but I tend to really only like darker tones of it.

Red: Kelsey's dog bowl. I like warm & dark tones of red, they feel friendly. I don't like cold reds.

Green: my Hummel football jacket. I really like this shade of green, reminds me of fresh grass. It's energetic without being as in-your-face as a bright yellow.

Complimentary: Red & green. I shot 2 shirts side by side in my closet. I hate this combination of colour. Maybe because it reminds me of Christmas, and I'm a scrooge. None the less, despite being complimentary, they make me want to puke. But other complimentary colours don't (ie.) purple & yellow, blue & yellow, blue & orange. Also most sports team clothes use complimentary colours, as they appear bolder that way.

Harmonious: blue & green, dog butt leash hooks. I love these colours. Any shade or hue from green, blue, & purple make me feel good.






Maybe once we are moved into our new house, I'll just print & hang a couple of these pictures around the house for a boost of colour! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment